Here are some suggested activities to do with your senior infant children, whilst our schools our closed. We have suggested activities that will reinforce what your children have already learned in school this year. We do not expect parents to teach any new concepts. Please spend between 15 and 20 minutes per day on these activities, whenever possible.
- Revise all sounds to date https://vimeo.com/106231366
- Alphablocks Youtube Channel https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC_qs3c0ehDvZkbiEbOj6Drg
- This website has some lovely phonics games that can be used on a tablet or a lap top https://www.topmarks.co.uk/english-games/5-7-years/letters-and-sounds
- Blending Jolly Phonics Word Bank. Ask your child to read/write some 3 and 4 letter words from the sounds they already know https://jolly2.s3.amazonaws.com/Resources/Jolly%20Phonics%20Word%20Bank.pdf
- Practice reading and writing tricky word list in homework folders
- Hearbuilder (app or laptop) – free 30 day trial . Good app to encourage children to practice hearing sounds in words
- Practice formation of all letters - https://www.kizphonics.com/learn-to-write-alphabet/
- Please continue to read to your child as much as possible.
- Here is some suggested reading material your child can read independently
- Audio- books / Listening to stories online https://www.storylineonline.net
- Revise numbers 0-10 through counting activities – forward & backward counting, what comes next? Number before/after
- Go through each number and ask what numbers will add up to that number i.e. Number 5 – 1+4, 2+3, 0+5 (Children in Senior Infants are not expected to know how to subtract yet)
- Please do not complete any more pages in the Maths homework book. The children will continue this work when they return to school
Here are some websites that will help children practice these skills:
- Maths games - https://www.topmarks.co.uk/Search.aspx?Subject=16&AgeGroup=1
- Maths games - https://ie.ixl.com/math/sr-infants
- Maths games - https://www.bbc.co.uk/bitesize/topics/z9pnb9q
- Numberblocks Youtube Channel https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCPlwvN0w4qFSP1FllALB92w
Here are some simple songs and cartoons the child will enjoy watching and singing along to!
- Ainmhite (Animals) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LvBSZb6y5FA
- Bia (Food) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MgWASkuqkQo
- Hocaí Pocaí (Hokey Pokey ) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OXpnlXSQcSA&list=PLw8ntTmGwN3RkbcX8SYQRpFjSHSPRXo7H&index=2
- Báibín Siorc (Baby Shark) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wzfixw77FzQ
- Ceann, Gualainn, Gluin is Cos https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=62QT3amAzew
Finally, these websites we use throughout the day to encourage the children to keep active!
Twinkl is a website that provides useful resources for teachers and schools. They are offering one month free subscription at this time. Here you can find worksheets that support all the learning mentioned above.
Sign up for one free month using code IRLTWINKLHELPS - https://www.twinkl.ie/offer
Each child who completes every activity of this page will be entered into a raffle when they return. Page must be signed by parents! Good luck everyone!